Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Perfect Fit

                                                              
       Ah…the good ole’ pointe shoe. When the phrase “pointe shoe fitting” is first uttered to a young, aspiring ballerina, the excitement is undoubtedly present. It’s the beginning of a new chapter in a dancer’s life. Pointe shoes to a ballerina are like ice skates to a figure skater…it’s inevitable that you wear them. How simple is it to find the right shoe for the dancer though? Well, as a company member of Texas Ballet Theater, I have learned it is not the easiest task.
       I was twelve years old when my ballet teacher of 7 years allowed me to have my first fitting. I remember it being one of the most exciting days of my childhood. As far as I knew, pointe shoes were glorious pieces of plaster and fabric that encircled a dancer’s foot and made it beautiful. I believed it would be simple. Find a shoe, and go. Well, I was proven wrong very fast. After having to leave my teacher 2 years later and move to Texas, my training initially lacked. I knew I needed to get better training so I came to Texas Ballet Theater School. I had pre-pointe, then eventually full classes of pointe as I worked my way up in the school. Class was a sure constant…my shoes however, were not. I had noticed I have a crescent shaped foot that would lead the pointe shoe to twist on me. This always caused a problem because I felt I wasn’t able to dance comfortably, safely, or with my best ability in the shoes. With the guidance of my teachers at TBTS, the search for the “perfect shoe” began. Well let me tell you, to this day I am still in search of it.

                                                                      

         A common misconception is the same one I had when I was twelve. Not everybody has a foot shape that can easily be fitted into a pointe shoe. I have had 3 companies custom make shoes for me and every time I would start to get used to a different shoe, it wouldn’t work out. Common problems for me are twisting and sagging, and most frustrating I break them in unusually fast. I have had personal shoe fittings go as long as 3 hours. I have tried on EVERY maker and brand of shoe in the two best dance stores in the metroplex. Along with this, I also was fitted at the actual Freed Studios and wasn’t successful. This really took a toll on my confidence. Was it me? Do I just have horrible feet? To be honest, I don’t have Sylvie Guillem feet. However, I have learned to work with what I have.
          So what is the problem? I received the help of a gracious local shoe fitter that has been spending countless hours with me and my troublesome feet. I have learned I have what is called a “compressed foot”. About 30% of ballet dancers have this type of foot. My feet when pointed and stretched in a hard shoe, tend to fold because of their flexibility. This leads to twisting, and sinking, but don’t get the wrong idea. I can’t blame it all on the shoe. I have learned along the way that a lack of strength in ankles and feet make everything more difficult! So there-bands and proper releves are crucial to have as a routine in most professional careers.
            I am happy to say that I have recently found a shoe that has been working well with me. There are still some adjustments that need to be made, but I have full confidence that I may have found the shoe for me! If you are struggling or you are just beginning the search…don’t get frustrated, you are not alone. It could take time, but don’t settle. Blisters and bruised toenails are two very common occurrences in a ballet career. Don’t think that there is a perfect shoe that will never give you a blister. Pointe shoes may be pretty, but they do cause pain. Find the right shoe that makes you comfortable and allows you to execute steps to the best of your ability. Be sure to be fitted by trained fitters, and always let your teacher see them on you before using them in class. You may be lucky and find the right shoe immediately! Some of you won’t and it may take longer. You are not alone! Stay positive, work hard, and your perfect pointe shoe will find its way to you!

By: Michelle LeBoeuf
Company member

                                                                     

2 comments: